Initial Clinical Characteristics of 146 Patients with COVID-19 Reported in Guizhou Province, China: A Survival Analysis

  • Yun Gou Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Kaike Ping Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Mingyu Lei Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Chun Yu Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Ying Tao Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Can Hu Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Zhongfa Tao Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Zhiting Zou Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Weijia Jiang Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Shijun Li Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Li Zhuang Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Zhaobin Liu Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
  • Yan Huang Guizhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guiyang, Guizhou Province, China
Keywords: COVID-19, survival analysis, clinical characteristic, epidemiological characteristics

Abstract

Introduction: Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has caused an outbreak around the world. Early detection of severe illness is crucial for patients’ survival. We analysed initial clinical characteristics of 146 patients with COVID-19 reported in Guizhou province, China to explore risk factors for transforming mild illness to severe.

Methodology: Data of 146 laboratory-confirmed cases were collected and evaluated by the survival analysis of univariate and multivariate Cox proportional hazards model.

Results: On initial presentation, patients had fever (51.05%), dry cough (45.45%), headache (16.08%), shortness of breath (7.75%) and gastrointestinal symptoms (13.99%). Among 146 laboratory-confirmed cases, 30 patients (20.55%) had severe illness and needed Intensive Care Unit care for supportive treatment. The remaining patients (116, 79.45%) were non-severe cases. Nineteen (19/146, 13.01%) of 30 patients in the Intensive Care Unit had comorbidities, including hypertension (12, 40.00%), diabetes (5, 16.67%), cardiovascular disease (5, 16.67%) and pulmonary disease (4, 13.33%). For survival analysis, patients who had fever (HR = 3.30, 95% CI = 1.31, 8.29) and comorbidities (HR = 9.76, 95% CI = 4.28, 22.23) at baseline were more likely to be admitted into the Intensive Care Unit. Few variables were not related to the survival time of discharge from baseline to discharge and from Intensive Care Unit care to discharge.

Conclusions: Severe patients with COVID-19 should be paid more attention. On initial symptoms, many patients did not have fever, but those with fever were more likely to be admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. Comorbidities were likewise a risk factor of severe COVID-19.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
2022-01-31
How to Cite
1.
Gou Y, Ping K, Lei M, Yu C, Tao Y, Hu C, Tao Z, Zou Z, Jiang W, Li S, Zhuang L, Liu Z, Huang Y (2022) Initial Clinical Characteristics of 146 Patients with COVID-19 Reported in Guizhou Province, China: A Survival Analysis. J Infect Dev Ctries 16:32-40. doi: 10.3855/jidc.15027
Section
Coronavirus Pandemic